ADSM-L

problem with backup stgpool and maxprocess=2

2003-04-01 10:29:11
Subject: problem with backup stgpool and maxprocess=2
From: John C Dury <jdury AT DQE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 10:28:36 -0500
I am trying to speed up the time required to backup our primary tape
stgpool to our secondary site by changing the number of process allowed.
When I changed MAXPROCESS=2, it kicked off 2 "Backup Storage Pool"
processes which is what I expected but on the secondary system, the 2
sessions are both asking for the same volume to be mounted so only one is
actually writing data and the other is just waiting for the tape from the
active process. Obviously this isn't going to help get the data from my
production system to my backup system any faster. I thought that the
secondary system would have monuted 2 separate scratches and put them both
in the same virtual volume and filled them both individually. Collocation
is turned off.
Any idea what is causing this and how I can fix it?
Thanks,
John