ADSM-L

Capacity planning

2003-03-28 14:38:41
Subject: Capacity planning
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:27:44 -0800
I am wondering how you all have managed capacity plans on your TSM Servers.
Does anyone have a basic formula to figure out how to determine how what you
have, is capable of doing?

I am currently running TSM 5.1.6.3 on AIX 4.3.3. The server is an M80 with
5GB memory, but at the moment only 2CPU's. There are 10 3590 tape drives in
a 3494 library. All the drives are fiber and direct attached. The OS resides
on internal disks. The db, logs and disk pools are spread across 2 trays of
36GB SSA disks. Currently I have approximately 160 nodes backing up,
supposedly what it shows below.

 Archive Past 24 Hours(Gigabytes)
---------------------------------
                623.7771384420000

  BACKUP Past 24 Hours(Gigabytes)
---------------------------------
                171.1356259960000

Restore Past 24 Hours(Gigabytes)
---------------------------------
                  6.7243592550000

Do things get finished each day? Yes. But how can you figure out say, what
adding 25 servers, each with an average of 10GB changes daily, would do to
the system? What would just maxing the CPU's at 6 do for me? Those kind of
questions I have a hard time finding an answer to.

Thanks for the help.
Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC
E-Mail:    <mailto:gillg AT saic DOT com> gillg AT saic DOT com
Phone:  (858) 826-4062
Pager:   (877) 905-7154