ADSM-L

Re: FastT700 with FlashCopy

2003-03-27 15:21:11
Subject: Re: FastT700 with FlashCopy
From: Suad Musovich <suad AT PARADISE.NET DOT NZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 08:04:42 +1200
The FAStT flashcopy is very easy to use. It's the same as most snapshotting
features on other storage subsystems.
It creates a pseudo volume that utilizes cache area to record any changes in
the original volume.
You can mount the pseudo volume as you can the original to make a backup
copy.

For a database, you either shut it down or put it in backup mode before
executing the flashcopy feature.
Then you restart/return the database online and mount the pseudo volume as
you would the normal one.

It gives you the ability of doing a filesystem backup as you would the
database being stopped (i.e. cold). The only
reason you may want to use the TDP is if you mount the pseudo volume on
another machine to reduce I/O impact
on the main host, otherwise it benefits for cold backups.

Cheers, Suad