ADSM-L

Defining TSM Disk pools on ESS wisdom wanted

2003-03-27 04:21:40
Subject: Defining TSM Disk pools on ESS wisdom wanted
From: "Anthonijsz, Marcel M SITI-ITDGE13" <Marcel.Anthonijsz AT SHELL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:18:33 +0100
Hi,

We are redefining our TSM disk pools on IBM ESS storage. We got 39 x 24 GB
LUNs from our storage collegues. Total 936GB.
LUNs are spread across the whole ESS. Now what is the best way, TSM wise and
performance wise to define these disks to TSM?

Make the volumes as large as possible?
or define a volume per LUN, so I get 39 volumes of each 24GB?
Use raw volumes or JFS formatted?

Almost forgot: we're running TSM 4.2.1.9 on AIX 4.3.3 ML10 (yes I do
know....All going out of support soon).
ESS is FC connected.

Thanks all for your eternal wisdom,

Marcel Anthonijsz
Central Data Storage Manager (a.k.a. storman)
Shell Information Technology International B.V.
PO Box 1027, 2260 BA  Leidschendam, The Netherlands

Tel: +31-70 303 4984
Mob: +31-6 24 23 6522
Email: Marcel.Anthonijsz.at.shell.com