ADSM-L

Re: Remote clients transferring GBs over WAN

2003-03-26 08:19:58
Subject: Re: Remote clients transferring GBs over WAN
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 08:17:19 -0500
>The organization I work for has four main establishments. Typically, someone
>will go "on mission" to another establishment and perform a backup of his
>laptop. Since his dsm.opt points to a server that that is hundreds, if not,
>thousands of kilometers away, this backup will be done over the WAN and not the
>usual LAN. Occasionally, this user might even attempt to backup 1 or 2 GBs over
>the WAN. This obviously causes some problems.
>
>What to do about this? Blocking the port in the firewall comes to mind but that
>is not a real answer.  Has anybody encountered this problem and what, if
>anything, did you do? Thank you...

Such backups have to be painful for the laptop user as well.  I should think
that following the procedures outlined in the Windows client manual under
"Performing a backup with limited bandwidth" should yield relief.
There is a whitepaper on the IBM site describing it in fuller detail.

  Richard Sims, BU