ADSM-L

TSM Server Migration

2003-03-25 09:08:34
Subject: TSM Server Migration
From: Marco Spagnuolo <marco AT UWINDSOR DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 08:50:41 -0500
Just wanted to let everyone know that the server migration went as well as
expected.  Thanks again to Wanda, Roger and Jim for their specific
pointers.  I noticed a couple of things that I did not expect that I wanted
to share with the group.

(1).  We have both the db(15GB) and recovery log(4GB) TSM-mirrored.  Rather
than set up the mirrored copies for both initially as I did, I would
recommend waiting until all post migration checks are completed (ie,
clients can connect, licensing, etc.) before setting this up mirroring.

(2).  Since we were reusing the disks from our old machine, we had to
re-create the diskpool.  Of course, the server started up complaining that
these volume did not exist.  We then proceeded to create new diskpool
volumes without and sort of difficulty.  I then proceeded to remove the old
diskpool volume references.  BIG MISTAKE.  It wasn't until I queried the
process that I realized what I had done.  The process listed 7 GB removed
from a 4GB volume.  I then realized that it was not only removing the
diskpool volume but the references to subsequent copy pools as well even
though all that should have been on those diskpool volumes were cached
copies since we completely migrated the diskpool prior to upgrading.  I
immediately cancelled the process and decided to restore the db again.
After reading the doc, I then realized that I should have done a restore
volume for each diskpool volume.

Thanks again,

Marco Spagnuolo
System Administrator