ADSM-L

Re: SQL DB backup fails with following errors !!

2003-03-21 11:53:19
Subject: Re: SQL DB backup fails with following errors !!
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:55:00 -0500
Prasanna,

"write failure on backup device" during a backup indicates
that when SQL tried to write backup data to the VDI device
that DP for SQL created, it failed.  This could be because
the TSM Server closed down a session for some reason,
(size estimate was exceeded, device error, etc.) or because the
the DP for SQL process consuming the data had some problem.
More information is needed.

What messages appear in the DP for SQL log file?
What messages appear on the TSM Server activity log?
What messages appear in the DSIERROR.LOG files?
How many stripes are you using?

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Remember that the best job security is
doing a job well and doing it cheerfully.

> I've been backing up quite a few databases from a SQL Cluster using TDP
for SQL V2 for some time.
> for the past few days, I've started getting an error and the backup
started failing for one particular
> database on the SQL cluster. I tried to find out more looking at the
event logs but could not find
> anything on Microsoft for the SQL event ID's. Any Help is greatly
appreciated.

> Event ID: 17055
> Category: Kernel
> BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device
'TDPSQL-00000226-0000'. Operating system