ADSM-L

Re: License Pricing

2003-03-19 11:19:35
Subject: Re: License Pricing
From: Dirk Billerbeck <dirk.billerbeck AT COMPUTACENTER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:15:34 +0100
Hi Richard,

I have a slightly different point of view. If you compare TSM with Legato
or NetBackup, it's two main competitors in the enterprise market, TSM is in
most cases still by far the most cost effective solution. Not only by
software licenses but also with regard to hardware.

Just look at Networker for example: Legato has just discovered (more than
10 years after a product called ADSM introduced it's implementation of a
storage hierarchy) that disks are good way to get around buying expensive
tape drives or at least to use the existing drives more efficient. But the
DiskBackup Option is an extra product and you have to pay for it. Or take
the TSM image backup for W2K systems. It's included in the standard b/a
client but for Networker a) AFAIK there is right now no image backup for
W2K (it's in beta test) and b) it will also be an additional product,
charged seperately. And it will require the Networker NDMP module which is
also seperately priced. The only advantage of this product will be it's
ability to perform an incremental restore on file level (right out of the
image). But I guess the reason for this feature is more a conceptual
question of "Image backups as a replacement for normal (i.e.
incrementell/differentiell or full) backups?" and the environment and the
requirements of a customer.

Of course TSM isn't as cheap as Brightstore (aka ARCserve) or BackupExec
but the products are targeted at total different customers and do you
really want to compare a Hyundai and Mercedes? :-).

BTW: But you are right, other Tivoli software (TEC, etc.) was (and still
is) much too expensive for many customers.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With best regards,
Bien amicalement,

CU/2,
                Dirk Billerbeck

Dirk Billerbeck
CC CompuNet AG & Co. oHG
Enterprise Computing Solutions
Am Jaegersberg 20, 24161 Altenholz (Kiel), Germany
Phone: +49 (0) 431 / 3609 - 117, Fax: +49 (0) 431 / 3609 - 190,
Internet: dirk.billerbeck AT computacenter DOT com

This email is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient,
you must not disclose or use the information contained in it.
If you have received this mail in error, please tell us
immediately by return email and delete the document.

Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 19.03.2003 15:12:56