ADSM-L

Tape Library Sharing

2003-03-18 16:26:32
Subject: Tape Library Sharing
From: Jim Sporer <james.sporer AT DOIT.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:21:47 -0600
I have a 3494 ATL that is shared between two TSM servers.  Right now the
Library is partitioned, meaning I have a separate set of private and
scratch categories for each of the servers.  I would like to change the
library so one of the TSM servers is the primary library manager.  Can I do
this using the following steps?

1)  Set up server to server communication between the library manager
server and the library client server on both TSMs.
2)  Update the library manager server library to shared=yes.
3)  On the library client TSM checkout all tapes with the remove=no option.
4)  delete the 3590 drives on the library client TSM.
5)  delete the library on the library client TSM.
6)  define the library on the library client TSM (define library
libraryname libtype=shared primarylibmanager=primarytsm)
7)  define the 3590 drives on the library client.  We are running TSM 4.2.1.7.
8)  issue the checkin command on the library client for the volumes checked
out in step 3.
(checkin libvol libraryname status=private checklabel=barcode search=yes)

I have a question about step 8.  Do I issue the checkin command on the
primary library manager or the library client.  If I issue the checkin on
the primary library manager how does the primary library manager know that
the tapes belong to the library client?
Jim Sporer