ADSM-L

Re: tsm unix client internal request

2003-03-18 10:38:57
Subject: Re: tsm unix client internal request
From: Justin Bleistein <justin.bleistein AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:30:03 -0500
that's what I thought, just wanted to throw it out there.... thanks!

--Justin Richard Bleistein
Unix Systems Administrator (Sungard eSourcing)
Desk: (856) 566 - 3600
Cell:    (856) 912 - 0861
Email: justin.bleistein AT sungard DOT com

                      Richard Sims
                      <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>             To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          cc:
                      Dist Stor                Subject:  Re: tsm unix client
internal request
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      03/18/2003 10:08
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

>I'm looking either for a c decompiler (if there is such a thing) because I
>heard once the tsm was programmed in c. I would love to look at the source
>code of the unix tsm client and possibly the unix tsm server.
>
>If anyone has some documentation on the code of the unix tsm client (dsmc)
>I'd love to see it. thanks!.

Justin, you're dreaming.  :-)
There are "decompilers", but the best they can do in most cases is generate
the machine language instructions from the object code.  Realize that any
single high-level language statement may generate any sequence of object
code
with any number of machine instructions - and that varies from compiler to
compiler and optimization level.  Attempting to reinterpret some object
code
sequence back into C is virtually impossible.  And expecting understandable
output, without structure or comments, is unattainable.

The product source code is proprietary and unavailable to us.  Most vendors
stipulate in their licenses that attempts at "reverse engineering" is a
conspicuous violation of the license.

You're a customer.  Live in the dark like the rest of us!  ;-)

  Richard Sims, BU