ADSM-L

Re: Database backup strategy?

2003-03-13 12:09:15
Subject: Re: Database backup strategy?
From: Shannon Bach <SBach AT MGE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:07:01 -0600
I do a full DB backup on Saturday morning after daily processing, then an
incremental everyday after until the following Saturday.  If  we are doing
an upgrade, major change, etc., with our system I will then do a full
volume backup before and after but that is the only time I variate from the
normal schedule.  All our DB backups go OFFSITE, if I ever needed to
restore right away I would just run to the OFFSITE storage site.
Fortunately, the only time I've ever had to restore the DB was when I did a
DB Reorg and found out halfway through that the server had to be at a
certain level first.  At the time, this was undocumented.  Because it was
planned, I had done a full backup just before the unload and just used
that.   I started doing it this way after attending a ADSM class where it
was recommended.

Shannon
e-mail sbach AT mge DOT com