ADSM-L

Dirdisk stgpool volume deleted

2003-03-13 12:01:17
Subject: Dirdisk stgpool volume deleted
From: Brenda Collins <brenda.collins AT US.ING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:59:52 -0600
We have a dilemma!

We made changes to our disk a few weeks back and unfortunately the diskpools
for the database and dirdisk were reformatted along with the rest of the
work being done.  As a result, we had to restore the database.  Due to the fact
that the dirdisk volume was reformatted, it was assumed the data was
no good anyways and then started the deletion process of getting rid of the
data.  This was stopped in the middle because we then determined we would
lose the copy of the data also.

To correct the situation, we put the volume offline to TSM and thought if we
went through a night's backup, it would pick up all the missing
directories.  No such luck!  When trying to restore some clients, we determined
that we were still missing a lot of directory data.  At this time, we
figured it was because there was data still on the offline volume and
regardless of being offline, TSM still knew it.

Next step, we deleted all the data on that old dirdisk volume and then ran
through backups again.

Now we are trying to restore clients and getting very inconsistent results.  It
appears that the directories are not in sync with the data needed to
restore.  If we restore directories only and then files only, we seem to get
around it is some cases.  We have had a couple servers so far where this
does not work either and it is making people very nervous.

If we would have thought of it immediately, the best answer would have been to
restore the stgpool.  Unfortunately, expiration and reclamation have
run so that is not an answer.

Any ideas on how to get out of this condition?  It appears that even though all
the directories should be backed up again, they are not necessarily in
sync with the old data that is there.  I have an open pmr on this but no
answers yet.  Do we have to run a full backup on every server?  (300+)

Thanks,

Brenda Collins
ING
612-342-3839