ADSM-L

Re: Restore performance

2003-03-13 11:49:09
Subject: Re: Restore performance
From: Alex Paschal <AlexPaschal AT FREIGHTLINER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:47:59 -0800
Thomas,

I agree with Richard Sims, you're probably between a rock and a hard place.
If you're not able to get your restore working reasonably quickly, here's
something you might try.  It's a little bit of work, but it should work.

dsmadmc -id=id -pa=pa -comma -out=tempfile select \* from backups where
node_name=\'NODENAME\' and filespace_name=\'/FSNAME/\' and filespace_id=ID
and state=\'INACTIVE_VERSION\' and TYPE=\'DIR\' and hl_name like
\'dir.to.restore.within.FS\%\'

Then process the tempfile to create a list of the directories that have
files you want restored (sorting, filtering, whatever).  I would probably
use the deactivate_date to just get the directories that were deactivated at
the right date (doable within the select, but it might tell you something to
see all of them), then trim out the various unnecessary columns and
concatenate hl_name and ll_name, get rid of any duplicates.  Run a script
that does a dsmc restore -pitd for each line of the temp file without the
-subdir=yes command.  That will speed things up considerably and you'll be
able to monitor progress.  Additionally, if necessary, you can stop the
script and pick up where you left off without having to redo the whole
thing.

Good luck.

Alex Paschal
Freightliner, LLC