ADSM-L

Re: Database backup strategy?

2003-03-13 11:27:45
Subject: Re: Database backup strategy?
From: Sias Dealy <hnre AT UREACH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:25:01 -0500
Matt,

In my shop, we do full backups of the TSM database. That is
because the TSM database will fit on one tape. When the TSM
database span across two tapes, then we will be thinking about
doing incremental backup of the database. Keep in mind that you
can only do so many incremental backup of the database. Once
you reach that limit, a full backup of the database need to be
done.

If TSM was doing a full backup twice a day. I would suspect,
the reason on why two backups are done is to keep the recovery
log from over committing. That is if TSM is in rollforward mode.

Must be nice to have a remote disaster recovery site that is
less than a 5-minute walk.  ;)

Sias

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On    , Matt Simpson (matt AT UKY DOT EDU) wrote:

> I'm curious about the type and frequency of database backups
that
> people do.  I've inherited a TSM environment set up by
sombeody else
> and I'm trying to make sense out of it.
>
> The original setup did two backups every day, a full and a
snapshot.
> The full stayed onsite and the snapshot went offsite.  (We
use DRM,
> and the MOVE DRM * SOURCE=DBS sent the snapshot offsite and
left the
> full alone).  That seemed like overkill, so I changed
the "onsite"
> backup to do a full backup on Sunday and an incremental other
days.
> But at two hours for a full backup, and almost as long for an
> incremental, I'm wondering if we're still spending more time
than
> necessary backing up our database.  Does anybody else see the
need
> for two daily backups?  I think the likeliihood of a disaster
> requiring a database restore is so slim that a single offsite
copy
> might be enough, especially since our "offsite vault" is less
than a
> 5-minute walk (which raises another issue, but thats what
we're