ADSM-L

Re: Restore performance

2003-03-13 10:18:32
Subject: Re: Restore performance
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:17:27 -0500
> Because of the -subdir=yes specification, omitting the ending slash could
> cause TSM to search for all files named "saa001" in /var/spool/imap/user
> and its subdirectories. If these are very large, then that could be the
> cause of the Based on the size of these directories, it could be very
> timeconsuming. Also, it is good practice to put an ending slash after the
> target directory name.
>
> Putting the ending slashes should make things better, plus you should get
> the benefit of no query restore.

We have retried the restore with the trailing slashes, and things have
not gotten any better.

The performance of our TSM server degrades over time. We are finding it
necessary to restart the server at least twice a day to maintain
even marginally acceptable performance. Unfortunately, we are finding
that the end of support for 4.2 has, for all practical purposes, already
happened. It seems clear that IBM's strategy for responding to our
performance problem is to stall until April 15. We are concentrating
on completing tests of the 5.1 server, and living with the frequent
restarts in the meantime. The last few attempts at the problem restore
have not gotten as far as requesting a tape mount before a server
restart occured. The restart terminate the restore session but leaves
a restartable restore behind. The client administrator has issued
'restart restore' commands after the last couple of restarts, arguing
that this will enable restore processing to pick up where it left off.
Is he correct, given that the restore process was terminated before
it got as far as requesting its first tape mount?