ADSM-L

Re: can't restore Windows Registry

2003-03-12 11:38:37
Subject: Re: can't restore Windows Registry
From: Jim Neal <jneal AT MAIL.ARC.NASA DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:36:22 -0800
Hi Tom,

    Unfortunately, Tivoli's ability to restore the registry is very limited.
I have not known it to work very well because the objects needed to restore
the registry properly are normally in use by the OS.  However, one excellent
workaround that I have found is to use the native windows backup from
"Start","Programs","Accessories","System Tools","Backup" to create a
scheduled backup of the registry.  Make sure that when you set this up, you
set the option to backup the registry after every system startup.  This will
make sure that you have a good backup of the last good bootable registry
configuration.  Also, make sure that the registry backup is saved to a
location on the hard drive that gets backed up by Tivoli, this way if the
entire drive is lost or is not bootable, when you restore from Tivoli, you
will then be able to use the native windows backup to restore the registry.
I know that this does not help with your current situation.  All I can
suggest regarding that, is double-check that you are selecting the system
object only for the restore.  Tivoli cannot restore the system object and
files simultaneously.

Jim Neal
Tivoli Administrator
NASA/AMES