ADSM-L

Re: Offsite Volumes

2003-03-10 17:25:37
Subject: Re: Offsite Volumes
From: "Marcel J.E. Mol" <marcel AT MESA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:23:11 +0100
We see the same thing. Last week we took all ofsite tapes for a
disaster test and found 18 out of 50 were not listed in q drme.
I cannot guarantee that the tape operators did not make mistakes
and we will double check in the coming weeks but it sure sound as
a lot of lost tapes.

I suspect that it has to to with changing status of vault retrieve
volumes which somehow are not checked-in in time. When the volume
history is truncated to the point where this state change was made
the volume is 'lost'.
I asked a TSM expert about it and he said the best way to solve
this is to use some sort of media management tool that tracks
volumes outside the vault...
My opninion is that TSM should take care of this.

This is one of my major problems with TSM. It does not seem to
keep track of the very last status of every volume it has known
about. Except probably when you never truncate the volume history.

Does this seem as viable ecplanation or om I just missing something?

-Marcel

--
     ======--------         Marcel J.E. Mol                MESA Consulting B.V.
    =======---------        ph. +31-(0)6-54724868          P.O. Box 112