ADSM-L

Re: Offsite Volumes

2003-03-10 17:14:41
Subject: Re: Offsite Volumes
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:13:22 -0500
Yes, I have seen this and there are a number of reasons
that can cause this.

1.  Are you using DRM to expire the DB
tape?  You should be, if not that can be a cause.

2.  How detailed are your operations people and your
tape return procedure?  Example: if ops is using the
"Move DRM " command to return tapes, do they just
manually input tape volser?  Point is that if they type
wrong number of a tape that is still physically offsite
but has just gone to vault retrieve state, tape  will be
deleted and left at vault.  It's not in a DRM state
anymore and you have to do manual inventory to find it.

3.  Vault vendor can mistakenly omit a tape to be returned
and OPS runs the move drm command anyway and tape
is lost as above.  (I find Vault Vendor errors are miniscule
compared to ours).

4.  Tape was by a number of means left in Tape library
and not sent offsite and your OPS didn't catch it.  So
it can't be returned.

5.  Someone could have done some manual Move drm
commands by mistake or maybe you have some automated
scripts that need to be changed with your retention
policy changes.  (Dion't know about your changes and
how many scripts or schedules you have, but a review
wouldn't hurt.

All are OPS procedural issues except #1 above.

I have dealt extensivley with all of the above and
various permutations.  Main point is that your OPS
and Procedures have to have GOOD audit trail.  OPs
has to check carefully and make sure what they send
offsite is what is on list you/they run and what comes back
is what is on list of what was requested from vendor.

If they see any descrepancies, they need to flag you on
this so you can investigate.  Some folks have a fairly
well automated or semi-automated system for tape
returns.  (May use a script or Web interface so ops just
selects tapes in a list as opposed to them having to type
volsers in and clicks a button to generate lists for send
and return).

TSM can't "Control" tapes after you take them out of
library, it has to assume you are following DRM cycle.

This is a brief overview of what can cause your problem.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> MTailor AT CARILION DOT COM 03/10/03 04:17PM >>>
Hello!

TSM 5.1.6.2 on AIX 4.3.3.10

I am running DRM and I am seeing large discrepancies in what I have
offsite and what TSM reports as being offsite.

I run a q drm wherest=vault [or a select statement] and compare the list
to the physical tapes offsite and they don't match.  About 8 weeks ago,
we did this manual inventory and had about 60-tapes "come back."  I did
not pay much attention to this since we have been making some pretty
drastic changes to our retention policies.  Since then, though, we have
not made any changes and when we did a manual inventory last week, we
found about 32-tapes that did not match TSM's inventory.

Has anyone else seen this?  If so, can this be explained?  Thanks.

Mahesh

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 03/10/2003 05:15:05 PM
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the
right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender,
except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a
particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such
views or opinions.