ADSM-L

Disaster recovery test

2003-03-08 09:39:51
Subject: Disaster recovery test
From: "Marcel J.E. Mol" <marcel AT MESA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 15:38:33 +0100
Hello list,

Last week we did a disaster recovery test and as always we learned a lot.

For one thing we discoverd that the last database backup was made while
the backup to the copypool was still running. As a result some files
were not visable in the test environment (where of coarse we ony used
the last database backup tapes and the copypool tapes), but all data
must be on the last copypool tapes. Of coarse we will update the
backup schedules so this will never happen again (famous last words)
but I'm wondering what one can do when this would happen in a real
disaster recovery?

I determined which copypool volumes were written to after the database
backup was made and tried to do a 'audit volume' on them. But this did
not help. From the help audit volume I'm a bit confused what happens
during an audit volume. The FROMDATE option says that the default date
to audit from is TODAY. But the FROMDATE cannot be given when doing an
audit volume <volume name>. So what exactly is checked for during
a specific volume audit?

Also will the audit volume recover files on the tape that are
not in the database, or are there other ways to do that?

-Marcel
--
     ======--------         Marcel J.E. Mol                MESA Consulting B.V.
    =======---------        ph. +31-(0)6-54724868          P.O. Box 112