ADSM-L

Re: progressive backup vs. full + incremental

2003-03-07 13:22:37
Subject: Re: progressive backup vs. full + incremental
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:21:41 -0600
We had an actual disaster last spring. An 80 gigabyte Unix file system
that contained all of our email became corrupted. This node was being
backed up both by TSM (with collocation, as this is obviously a critical
node), and by old-fashioned full+incremental backups.

We had a restore race. TSM lost, but not by much. Close enough to call
it a tie, and we were very pleasantly surprised that it was this close.
3:45 for TSM, versus 3:15 for the old-fashioned restore. If we could
plan all our disasters for the day after the full backup, like this one
was, the full+incremental method would always win. But by day 6 of the
weekly cycle, TSM would become considerably faster.

With a full+differential scheme, restore time might be faster, but
differential backups are so much more costly to make. By the end of the
cycle, a differential backup could practically be a full backup.
Consider all those unnecessary copies of a file that changed only once,
on day 1 of the cycle.

In theory, the worst case without collocation is that a node's files
could be scattered over all the tapes in your library. In practice, that
is not the case. I'm not sure why, but I think that migration and
reclamation at least make an effort not to make the scattering any
worse. Larger disk storage pools definitely help reduce the scattering.

I completely agree with Don France about taking the time to accurately
separate your nodes by criticality. We do this, using exactly his
three-tiered scheme.

The key to TSM's progressive backup scheme is that it is totally
database-driven. Don't try to circumvent it by imposing periodic full
backups on it - TSM _ALWAYS_ has a full backup of each node! Every day,
not just on the day after your full backup. It's in the database. This,
however, takes a slight "leap of faith" for us who were brought up in
the full+incremental cycles of mainframe days. It's easier if you forget
about individual tape volumes, and consider your entire tape library and
its robot to be one huge tape.

Do away with those full backups, and your tape drive bandwidth and
database size problems should be significantly reduced. What is the
purpose of a full backup? To reduce restore time in a disaster. You're
better off achieving that goal with 1) collocation for the most critical
nodes, and 2) TSM Database disk tuning. That's how TSM earned a virtual
tie in the restore race in my actual disaster.

               Academic Computing & Communications Center