ADSM-L

Re: IBM TSM Databases Data Protection for Microsoft SQL Server 5.1.5

2003-03-07 10:24:12
Subject: Re: IBM TSM Databases Data Protection for Microsoft SQL Server 5.1.5
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 10:23:34 -0500
Bruce,

You are absolutely correct. The manual is wrong.
Version 2.2 and version 5.1.5 are completely upward compatible
and 5.1.5 will install over the top of version 2.2.
And it will restore 2.2 backups just fine as you tested.

The places that say "Version 2" below were supposed
to have been "Version 1".

The README file was correct, but the book was not.
Sorry for the mix-up. The book has been updated and
will be correct in the next release of the product.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Remember that the best job security is
doing a job well and doing it cheerfully.

> We ran into a sort of problem, with this, but also some potential good
news.
> I have to disagree with the two statements below from the manual. I
> installed 5.1.5 and didn't take note of the install directory as I was
> assured beforehand it would install in a different directory than my old
2.2
> version. It did in fact install over the 2.2 installation. So having got
> that point I decided to test out the second statement by restoring using
the
> new 5.1.5 GUI  a backup made with the old 2.2 version. It worked fine. Is
it
> actually valid to restore 2.2 backups with the 5.1.5 GUI.
>
> The PDF manual states the following:
> If Data Protection for SQL Version 2 exists on your system, Data
Protection
> for SQL Version 5.1.5 installs to a different sub-directory than Version
2.
> If you are storing backup objects created by Data Protection for SQL
Version
> 2, you must retain Version 2 for as long as you retain those backup
objects.
> Data Protection for SQL Version 5.1.5 will not overwrite the existing
Data