ADSM-L

Re: unload/reload db on diff.server (same library) -- disaster waiting to happen?

2003-03-07 07:37:16
Subject: Re: unload/reload db on diff.server (same library) -- disaster waiting to happen?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 07:33:53 -0500
>Due to some misunderstanding, an unnecessary 5 million files was backed up,
>bloating our database by about 15 GB.  I have since commenced deleting that
>filespace, but it looks like the delete is not reducing the database size
>nearly enough.  So I am planning to do an unload/reload, and in order to
>eliminate downtime, I thought I'd do it on a different server running
>concurrently with the production server,  using the same 3494 and borrowing
>one of the 3590 drives from production.

What do you mean  that the database size is not reducing nearly enough?
The database is a fixed-size object used randomly.  You will have free space
and partially used blocks throughout it.  The filespace delete will reduce
logical internal consumption by the number of db objects involved, and you
will be all set thereafter.  As has been discussed on the list, there is no
compelling reason to do what you were thinking of doing.  It's a database.

  Richard Sims, BU