ADSM-L

Re: TSM vs Veritas?

2003-03-06 07:41:12
Subject: Re: TSM vs Veritas?
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 14:37:00 +0200
I would say it *is* the right approach! To make a fair comparison you have
to get information from all competitors. Otherwise you will make the
decision

Nearly all answers on this thread point to the TSM vs. NetBackup
comparison report from Progressive Strategies Inc. And all miss that the
documents from Progressive Strategies are somewhat shifted:
- they are made on IBM's request
- competitive products are briefly described while IBM products are widely
presented
- IBM products have only advantages over what-is-to-be-compared product
- look at copyright page for one vs. one product comparisons - "The
following terms are trademarks or registered trademarks of IBM ..." +
"Other company, product, and service names mentioned may be trademarks or
registered trademarks of their respective companies."
My opinion is derived from two (no more, no less) "reports" - IBM TSM vs.
VERITAS NetBackup and LTO vs. SDLT. I cannot comment the company itself.
It is possible Progressive Strategies Inc. is famous somewhere but is
unknown here (where I work and where our company's customers are)

TSM is a very good product and I think does not need such
mis-advertizement.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Henrik Wahlstedt <shwl AT STATOIL DOT COM>
05.03.2003 10:47