ADSM-L

[no subject]

2003-03-05 20:47:27
From: Rick W <rick AT IMAGEWAY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 17:23:21 -0800
I feel silly asking this question but I know the answer would be known to
you all.  My company does mainly full/selective backups and does not use
incrementals.  I recently wished to change this policy to take advantage
of TSM's ability to handle incrementals (besides our tsm DB is getting
large).  We do incremental backups of a flat file database to disk and
those expire after a period of one day.  This is a "just in case" backup.
I wish to do incremental backups but to a different disk pool.  I just
read about an option that can be put in the dsm.sys file DIRMC.  Would
this be the option I need for placing my incrementals into a different
management class (ie .. different disk pool)? I say yes but I would like
confirmation.  The other question that I have is that in planning for a DR
do I just follow the old rule of incrementals daily and a weekly
selective and if you have a disaster get the weekly and the incremental
and restore.  I know none of you know what are retention or backup
policy's are but I want to know if this jives with the "normal" TSM
procedure or if there is a better way that I am not aware of.  The classes
dont cover policy's very well and what is the best method so im relying on
everyone's experience here.

Thanks for the assistance all,
Rick.