ADSM-L

Re: progressive backup vs. full + incremental

2003-03-05 12:01:22
Subject: Re: progressive backup vs. full + incremental
From: Kai Hintze <kai.hintze AT ALBERTSONS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:59:56 -0700
TSM can give very quick restores, but beware fragmentation in uncollocated
tape pools. We had to rebuild a small (350GB) unix server last year that
required upward of 300 tape mounts, and finding a single file in the middle
of each tape. It took days.

Since then I have gotten funding to buy enough tapes for collocation, and
last week at 200GB restore took about 45 minutes.

- Kai.