ADSM-L

Re: progressive backup vs. full + incremental

2003-03-05 11:39:33
Subject: Re: progressive backup vs. full + incremental
From: William SO Ng <ngwso AT HK1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 00:43:29 +0800
All the replies are correct and they are the reasons why incremental
forever is better and need less time to restore.  Maybe a real example can
help you.  I had more than 8 years in operations and I can say that TSM is
much better.  I had the following experience:

Some "great" application developer create files using date as a part of the
file name.  Some of these files are vital e.g. price files, but some are
not important, e.g. temp working or log file for trace.  The backup job
needs to backup all the files.  The disk crash on Friday and we need to
restore the files.

For traditional FULL + INCREMENTAL, I need to restore all these date
specific files which are useless, so it is a waste of time to restore them.
The bad news did not stop here.  I found out some of these date specific
files are huge ("smart" developer write everything to log file, so that
they are able to trace if there is problem).  The application will delete
these files in a "day-end" job to reclaim the disk space.  However, FULL +
INCREMENTAL will restore all these huge temp files.  As a result, I ran out
of disk space  when I restore the daily incremental.  So I had to delete
those temp files, restore the second incremental, delete temp files,
restore the third incremental,... until incremental of Friday morning.  The
total time to restore include this manual delete files process that people
often ignore and forget.

For TSM, it will not restore these intrim temp files and only restore the
files I need using point-in-time restore feature.  FULL + INCREMENTAL is
not able to do.  Therefore, it is much better.

Hope this example can help you to explain and understand why TSM is better.

Thanks & Regards
William

|         |           Gianluca         |
|         |           Mariani1/Italy/IB|
|         |           M@IBMIT          |
|         |           Sent by: "ADSM:  |
|         |           Dist Stor        |
|         |           Manager"         |
|         |           <[email protected]|
|         |           .EDU>            |
|         |           05/03/2003 22:47 |
|         |           "ADSM: Dist Stor |
|         |           Manager"         |

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                                                      |
  |       cc:
                                                               |
  |       Subject:  Re: progressive backup vs. full + incremental
                                                               |

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Progressive incremental backs up only new or changed files.  during the
initial backup the client  backs up all eligible files of course(full
backup). Subsequently, files are backed up again only if they are new or
have changed since the last backup. In TSMs case, a pointer to each version
of every file for every client is kept  in the database , so there is no
need for another full backup.
When  you  need to restore, you can choose the specific version of the file
or  point-in-time  to  restore,  and TSM will restore only  that particular
file or files. The approach used for full + incremental backups (NetBackup)
requires  an  initial  full  backup,  followed  by  regular  incremental or
differential  backups (usually once a day), with the complete cycle needing
a  full  backup  to  be  repeated on a regular (usually weekly) basis. This
backup  method  results in redundant weekly full backups of files that have
not  changed,  wasting  both  network  and  media resources. The multi-step
restore  process in this approach requires the software to restore the last
full  backup,  then to restore  incremental or differential backups  on top
of  that   in  order  to  recover the latest version of a file or an entire
system.  This  methodology  not  only involves restoring more data, it also
means  more  tape  mounts  and  tape  positioning and consumes more network
bandwidth all of which amounts to having longer restore times.

Cordiali saluti
Gianluca Mariani
Tivoli TSM Global Response Team, Roma
Via Sciangai 53, Roma
 phones : +39(0)659664598
                   +393351270554 (mobile)
gianluca_mariani AT it.ibm DOT com

The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy says  of the Sirius Cybernetics
Corporation product that "it is very easy to be blinded to the essential
uselessness of  them by the sense of achievement you get from getting them
to work at all. In other words ? and this is the rock solid principle  on
which the  whole  of the Corporation's Galaxy-wide success is founded
-their fundamental design flaws are  completely  hidden  by  their
superficial design flaws"...

             Joni Moyer
             <joni.moyer@HIG
             HMARK.COM>                                                 To
             Sent by: "ADSM:        ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI
bcc
             ST.EDU>
                                                                   Subject
                                    progressive backup vs. full +
             05/03/2003             incremental
             15.21

             Please respond
             to "ADSM: Dist
              Stor Manager"

Hello everyone!

I was wondering why the full + incremental would result in a longer restore
time than the progressive backup methodology?  From several co-workers
point of view they thought that it would be quicker on the full +
incremental because you wouldn't have to go back to the beginning backups
of the file and restore all of the incrementals, you would just go back to
the most recent full backup and apply the incrementals after that point.
When I went to explain the reasoning behind this, I had some problems
understanding the concept myself, so I was hoping someone could explain
both methods and why they differ in restore time and why progressive is
better than the full + incremental.  Thank you so much for any help you can
lend on this matter!

Joni Moyer
Systems Programmer
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com