ADSM-L

Re: Errors on 3590 K tapes

2003-03-05 01:46:22
Subject: Re: Errors on 3590 K tapes
From: "Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 01:45:29 -0500
This is a problem for all the newer tape technologies.  Typically, this is
caused by a bad batch of tapes or a case of tapes that has been slammed on
the floor or the librarian stacked them and knocked them on the floor.

Early in the delivery of K tapes there was a packing problem.

Also, make sure you have the latest microcode on your drives.  If you are
running downlevel, you can get errors during certain conditions.  I cannot
remember what the MIH has to be set for or whether you can take the
defaults.  The deal is the tape is much longer and can take a long time to
rewind.

There is a document from IMATION on this subject.  I suggest you get that
document.