ADSM-L

Fibre Channel Loop Disk and Tape device

2003-02-27 17:02:34
Subject: Fibre Channel Loop Disk and Tape device
From: Jin Bae Chi <Jbaechi AT CSCC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:39:06 -0500
Hi, experts,

We run 2 TSM 4.2 on AIX 4.3.3; clients are AIX, Netware, Win2K;

We plan to buy 3584 LTO2 FC tape drives and FastT700 FC 2GB disk
drives. I heard that they can be directly connected to 2109 SAN
switches. but when I try to do LAN-free backup, which will be sequential
I/O from each AIX node, any random I/O for disk will be timing out and
give error message and then, Oracle will crash.

Some recommended to have an additional HBA on each server for backup
only, through proper zoning on switch. but this will cost too much for
me. Talking about pure fibre connection between host and disk, tapes,
LAN free concept wouldn't have much meaning (to me). TSM should have
some options for backup strategies for SAN servers and devices. I can' t
find one so far.

As most of SAN disk storage offer 'flash copy' options, should I
redesign TSM env. to use this option or wait for server-free backup from
TSM for AIX platform? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Jin Bae Chi (Gus)
System Admin/Tivoli
Data Center, CSCC
614-287-5270