ADSM-L

Linux Server Restrictions

2003-02-25 14:28:43
Subject: Linux Server Restrictions
From: Mitch Sako <msako AT CADENCE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:24:46 -0800
The number of possible Linux configurations is extremely limited.  Two of them
involve enterprise Linux distros, including a SuSE one that I could not figure
out a way to buy.  The RH enterprise offering requires a kernel that does not
ship with the product and it's a large task in itself to get registered with RH
and get the appropriate kernel from them.  That left a RH 7.2 with a 2.4.9-31
kernel (I think 2.4.9-34 is "current").

I am wondering what possible factors went into limiting the number of
configurations for the Linux server.  I can guess that it has something to do
with the GPL and LGPL restrictions and C++ code but I would only be guessing.
For those of us who prefer to stay current with kernel.org versions it presents
a severe problem.  For instance, the only stable RH 7.2 configuration I could
get working on an X235/X345 server is a 2.4.19 kernel built with gcc 2.95.3
because of problems with the LSI Logic MPT SCSI drivers.  Retrofitting module
drivers into old kernels just doesn't provide a stable environment in my testing
experience.

Anyway, I would be very curious to know why the configuration choices are so
restrictive.