ADSM-L

Re: TSM Disk Pool Management

2003-02-21 09:44:36
Subject: Re: TSM Disk Pool Management
From: John Underdown <johnunderdown AT STI.SYNOVUS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:40:02 -0500
Manuel,

The remote copypool ended up being NetWare 6, i can serve up a 8TB volume to
TSM with Novell Storage Services (NSS). NetWare's Common Internet FileSystem
(CIFS) allows TSM access without loading a NetWare client on the TSM server.

i chose this approach because copypools can only access sequential media, so
NAS was my only option. It also appears copypools can only have a single device
which limited me to one NAS volume per copypool. Windows volumes have a limit
of 2TB which was too small for my backuppool, short of having to break it up
into multiple 2TB  backuppools and copypools, i decide to use NetWare to get
around this, we are also a NetWare shop so this was a no brainier.

Everything seems to working fine so far but it's still new. I also have another
7TB of ATA disk arrays on order that should get here in a couple of weeks, the
price is now down to ~$3,000/TB.

Let me know how this solution sound to you and also let me know what you decide
to go with.

Thanks,

john

>>> <Manuel_Sanchez AT assurant DOT com> 02/20/03 09:03AM >>>
John,
I read your message on adsm.org Mailing List.
I wonder if you implemented the remote copy pool.
We are considering a similar solution, and we are talking to DataCore and
FalconStor.
Thanks,
Manuel J. Sanchez
________________
Assurant Group
(305) 252-7035 x32153
Manuel_Sanchez AT Assurant DOT com

NOTICE: This communication is intended only for the person or entity to
whom it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material. Unless you are the intended addressee, any review,
reliance, dissemination, distribution, copying or use whatsoever of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this in error, please
reply immediately and delete the material from all computers. Email sent
through the Internet is not secure. Do not use email to send us confidential
information such as credit card numbers, PIN numbers, passwords,
Social Security Numbers, Account numbers, or other important and
confidential information.