ADSM-L

Re: Multiple restore sessions

2003-02-20 10:39:54
Subject: Re: Multiple restore sessions
From: William Rosette <Bill_Rosette AT PAPAJOHNS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:55:31 -0500
Hi Brian,

      We Restored a 130 GB database in 2 hours due to multiple restore
sessions on a Gigabyte backbone.  Now, the DBA had to kick off 6 separate
streams and since a great deal was on tape some of the streams waited for
each other, but I'd rather have it waiting then not doing anything if it
had been single streamed.  I have also noticed (since we are no-collocated
also) that with multistreaming the no-collocation can really help if you
have enough tape drives and memory on the client (I crashed 1 client due to
too many restore streams).  In fact the restore took 1/2 time the backup
did due to the multistreaming.  The client was 4.2.1.11 and the Server is
5.1.1.0.  Can't wait to try a 5.1 client.

Thank You,
Bill Rosette
Data Center/IS/Papa Johns International
WWJD

                      "Hart, Charles"
                      <charles.hart@MED        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      TRONIC.COM>              cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: Multiple restore
sessions
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      02/19/2003 04:35
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

With TSM 4.1.5 and restoring Archive objects we have had good success, the
only thing is tape contention was a bit of a factor as we were just
restoring archived dbf file from the same file system.  Little different
than the TSM 5.1 multi-stream backup / restore.