ADSM-L

Re: too many filesystems to backup

2003-02-20 10:39:32
Subject: Re: too many filesystems to backup
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:38:33 -0500
>I have an AIX system which has 65 filesystems in total and I want to
>backup 27 filesystems out of these. Is there any other way apart from
>specifying each one of them (there again we have limitaion of max 20
>objects in a single schedule/command). Anything more intelligent (???)
>is welcome...

The limit of 20 names on a command line is some developer's mighty
poor concept of product usability, artificially handicapping the command
in an environment which affords far more flexibility.
You can get around this with the Unix 'xargs' command.  I'd recommend
getting familiar with it, as it can be very useful.

  Richard Sims, BU