ADSM-L

Tantia Harbor Backup?

2003-02-20 09:23:19
Subject: Tantia Harbor Backup?
From: Shannon Bach <SBach AT MGE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:21:55 -0600
Currently our TSM server is on MVS OS/390 v 2.10, and we backup around 50
clients of various platforms.  I personally prefer having TSM on the
mainframe, while other servers seem to crash around me everyday, the
mainframe is only platform in our company that has NEVER CRASHED.  But as
the clients servers disk storage keeps on getting larger and larger, TSM
does use extensive resources(tapes, DASD) etc.  Management is considering
different storage solutions before investing more resources in our current
solution.  A vendor from Beta Systems was here yesterday pushing a product
called  Tantia Harbor Backup.  Evidently it makes optimal use of storage
media by incorporating such features as an automatic file redundancy
checker (AFRC), automatic data classification, and periodic backup
consolidations to re-organize data to speed restore and free up storage
space.  It is currently used on mainframes although they have just released
a server version for NT's.  As I have never heard anything about this
product before I was wondering if anyone else on this list has.   Thank you
in advance.

Shannon Bach
Madison Gas & Electric Co.
Operations Analyst - Data Center Services
Office 608-252-7260
Fax 608-252-7098
e-mail sbach AT mge DOT com