ADSM-L

Upgrading HSM and AIX at the same time?

2003-02-20 07:59:18
Subject: Upgrading HSM and AIX at the same time?
From: Gerhard Rentschler <g.rentschler AT RUS.UNI-STUTTGART DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:59:14 +0100
Hello,
we have an HSM client version 3.1.20 running on AIX 4.2.1. For some reason
we need to upgrade AIX to 4.3.3 which means to do an install from scratch.
It would make sense to upgrade HSM to the current level.
As far as I understand from the manual upgrading HSM alone is not a big
deal. The upgrade procedure would do everything automatically. However,
after installing AIX no HSM would be there to upgrade. What we would do is
to export the HSM filesystem, install AIX, TSM client and HSM. Then we can
import the HSM filesystem. How can we tell HSM to run on this filesystem
without thinking it is new and destroying it?
Advice would be appreciated.
Regards
Gerhard

---
Gerhard Rentschler            email:g.rentschler AT rus.uni-stuttgart DOT de
Regional Computing Center     tel.   ++49/711/685 5806
University of Stuttgart       fax:   ++49/711/682357
Allmandring 30a
D 70550
Stuttgart
Germany