ADSM-L

5Yr Retention Was RE:

2003-02-19 16:32:00
Subject: 5Yr Retention Was RE:
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:21:33 -0600
Welcome to my world.  We are looking at the same thing.  Our current
solution is to make a copy of everything to CD, and keep a copy of them
offsite.

My thoughts was to use something like HSM, and keep a backup, or if you
don't need it available, archive it for 5 years and let it expire at the
end.

Our use needs access on occasion, so we keep a vault full of CDs, with our
DR copy of the CDs, offsite.  All the CDs are labeled with the date of data
and type of data (we generate 4 to 12 CDs daily, with a nominal day being 6
CDs, so 5 years worth is quite a few).  Eventually I hope we move to DVDs,
but we will probably want to do one per day even if it is not full.

One company I worked for had a contract to do permanent storage for a
nuclear power plant.  They did CDs for all the documents, and kept one
onsite and another offsite in another city, or at least that is what I heard
it was supposed to be that way.  TSM and I think with HSM (adsm at the time)
managed the data.  I don't have any more details on that implementation.