ADSM-L

Re: Tape Reliability Recommendations

2003-02-18 13:45:45
Subject: Re: Tape Reliability Recommendations
From: Peter Ford <PFord AT STENTOR DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:43:02 -0800

<...snip...>

> For instance,
> we have a site with a large fiber channel and LTO
> configuration.  No end to
> the problems so far and they are very serious problems.  Is
> this a result of
> the tape technology?  I doubt it, but one never knows, do one?\

I would be very curious to hear what type of reliability problems you have seen
with LTO.  I have posted here before, but we have been experiencing an
incredibly high number of read errors with our 3584 LTO library.  We regularly
see errors when trying to restore data from tapes.  We have been auditing
volumes recently and have seen errors on a tape during one audit, and then
audit again, with no errors.  There is no discernable pattern to these errors
(across multiple tapes and multiple drives).  Due to the nature of the data we
are backing up, the data does not change often (and therefore the tapes are
generally written to once, and the data stays there), so over-used tapes should
not be an issue.

Anything that you could share with the list, or me directly, would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.
Peter

    Peter Ford