ADSM-L

Re: Semote storage pool

2003-02-18 12:10:38
Subject: Re: Semote storage pool
From: GUILLAUMONT Etienne <eguillau AT RGB-TECHNOLOGIE DOT FR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 18:09:29 +0100
I know but my customer want to do that. In fact, he bought two new servers,
one with W2K and one with linux, and planned to install TSM on the linux
server, but it is so complicated that we decided to install it on the W2K
server. And we have 200 Gb on the Linux Server and 70 Gb on W2K So we would
like to have a primary storage pool on the W2K machine and the next storage
pool on the linux box. The storage on the linux box should be used very
rarely.
But in fact the real problem is that my customer doesn't want to tell his
manager that he choosed the server a little bit too quickly and I don't
wan't his manager to think that we let him make his choice too quickly. So
if I can find a proper way to use what he bought without buying anything
else, everything will be perfect.
I realize that these reasons aren't very good reasons, but I must do it
like that. I would have prefered to have someone listening to me and
thinking a little bit before making his decisions, but it is not the case
so I must do with that.
And anyway, the performances are not very important for this customer, what
he wants is to have a reliable backup system and for that, TSM is a good
solution I think.

Etienne GUILLAUMONT
e-mail : etienne AT rgb-technologie DOT fr

RGB Technologie
Parc d'Innovation, Bâtiment PYTHAGORE
11 Rue Jean SAPIDUS
67400 ILLKIRCH
Tél :  03 90 40 60 60
Fax : 03 90 40 60 61

                    "Stapleton,

                    Mark"                To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

                    <stapleto@BER        cc:

                    BEE.COM>             Subject:     Re: Semote storage pool

                    Sent by:

                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA

                    RIST.EDU>

                    18/02/2003

                    17:22

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

From: GUILLAUMONT Etienne [mailto:eguillau AT RGB-TECHNOLOGIE DOT FR]
> I would like to know if it is possible to have a storage pool
> on a remote machine without installing TSM on it. Typically,
> what I wan't to do is to use space on a remote server to have
> a disk or a file storage pool on it. I tried with a file
> device class and it allows only local disks. A disk devices
> class goes a little further, but when it tries to format the
> volume, there's an error. One possibility would be to create
> a local file storage pool and then to copy the files on the
> remote servers and put the file volumes in offline state, or
> something like that, but is there something easier ? I tried
> that with TSM 5.1.5

Why would you want to do this? Disk (particularly local disk) is cheap
these days. The lag resultant from Windows drive mappings or (shudder!)
NFS mounts will greatly slow your throughput.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT berbee DOT com)