ADSM-L

DB Cache Hit Rate Question

2003-02-18 11:26:40
Subject: DB Cache Hit Rate Question
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:25:15 +0000
Good afternoon all TSMers.

I'm a little confused about the cache hit ratio information. If I run
expiration on a database, surely the TSM server has to trawl through the
entire thing on disk as it does not already reside in the buffer. So how
would I expect to see hit ratios of 99% or higher. I won't go into details
here as I'm more interested in the process of how the database and cache
work than out particular performance problems. But, as we do very little in
the way of restores, surely the amount of time that a requested database
file is present in the cache must be very low, so a cache hit ratio of
96-98% would make sense.

Please forgive my ignorance here as I'm not a expert in this field at all.

Many thanks in advance

All the best

Farren Minns

John Wiley & Sons Ltd