ADSM-L

Re: A query about NDMP support

2003-02-18 10:20:48
Subject: Re: A query about NDMP support
From: "Jelinek, David G." <David.Jelinek AT CMICH DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:20:03 -0500
Since I've received no response from the list, I decided to spend a
day reading through both the TSM documentation on NDMP and the
documentation on NDMP itself. I had thought that NDMP was just a backup
protocol that TSM could support. It is not. It is a complete backup
system itself. It requires that the drives be attached (dedicated) to it
and that it write the tapes itself. This means that you need to share
the library and drives (more licenses!) It also needs to manage it's own
database of backup data. TSM would only provide a tape storagepool that
it would be unable to make a copy of for disaster recovery. TSM would
not be able to do tape reclamation on that storage pool either.
Basically, it means that NDMP is another backup system to manage, one
that does not have the features of TSM that make it most useful to us.

As for the 3-way option that Mirapoint would like TSM to implement, it
would eliminate the need for the tape drives to be directly connected to
the Mirapoint box, It would instead push this off onto yet another box
that would be connected to the library and tape drives. Oh, joy! another
box to pay for and manage! Of course, I'm sure that they think that the
TSM box would be able to house the second NDMP host, possible, but I
wouldn't want to manage it. As for adding complete NDMP host
capabilities to TSM, well, I expect that eventually that will happen,
but not for quite a while. I would not want to use it unless TSM was
then able to manage the storagepool like it does it's own. In other
words, not unless disaster recovery and tape reclamation were
automatically part of the process.

In short, we are going to continue using a two stage process for backing
up our Mirapoint boxes. We will use the Mirapoint backups to create
backup files on another server and then use TSM to backup those files.

If I'm wrong about any of this, I'm sure that someone will let me know. *8^)

David Jelinek