ADSM-L

OS390 SELFTUNEBUFPOOLSIZE yes/no?

2003-02-17 09:55:08
Subject: OS390 SELFTUNEBUFPOOLSIZE yes/no?
From: "MC Matt Cooper (2838)" <Matt.Cooper AT AMGREETINGS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 09:28:15 -0500
Hello all,
        I have been reading the dialog on OS/390 performance tuning.  I too
have found that lowering the size of the address space to 512MB has helped.
I have also seen improvements in my throughput by cycling TSM.  (I just
don't do it as often.)   One thing that I was wondering is if anyone has
done any research on an advantage to NOT USING SELFTUNBUFPOOLSIZE.  Right
now I set BUFPOOLSIZE to 32760 and SELFTUNEBUFPOOLSIZE yes.   From the looks
of things TSM seems to be able to cause some thrashing with MVS memory
management.  SO I wonder if SELFTUNEBUFPOOLSIZE should be set to NO and just
allocate a bigger fixed BUFPOOLSIZE, (like the 128M that was suggested)?
Matt