ADSM-L

Re: questions on DB and recovery log backup

2003-02-15 08:59:12
Subject: Re: questions on DB and recovery log backup
From: Sias Dealy <hnre AT UREACH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 08:56:33 -0500
Bill,

> Q1. Can I backup a TSM database onto a volume that has
> already contained another db backup? another word,
> Can I run the following command twice without failure?
>   TSM> backup db type=full devclass=tapeclass
> volumenames=dbbk1
> when I ran the command the second time, the TSM said
> the dbbk1 is already in use - skipped

No, this is not possible.
If we are able to put 2 (or more) TSM database volume on to one
tape.
If the tape was damage or defective, we not lost one database
but two (or more) database at the same time.

> Q2. How to backup recovery log?
> Is backing up the OS file systems on where the
> recovery log was created the only way or one the ways
> to do that?

Every time that the TSM database is backed up, the data in the
recovery log is commited to the data base.

Sias

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag