ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.2 Question

2003-02-13 09:03:15
Subject: Re: TSM 5.2 Question
From: Christian Svensson <Christian.Svensson AT CRISTIE DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:01:46 +0100

Hi Daniel!
Our software CBMR (Old name PC-BaX) does support more then only TSM. We
also support Legato Network, Veritas NetBackup.
But about your question with TDP.
Yes. We support the TDP.
CBMR is there own backup software who more like Backup Exec and Windows NT
backup. But CBMR is more focus on Bare Metal Restore and not only Backup
and restore.
What´s happend is that.
CBMR takes there own backup of the OS to the TSM Server and the BA Client
and the TDP takes there own backup.
When the Server is going down you take your CD/Boot Disk and boot the
Server on it and restore the system.
When the system is up and runing we start TSM BA Client and restore the
user data / Citrix data. If you have a Exchange Server do you only need to
start the base Services and start the TDP and restore the Exchange data.
And when that is finish you just restart your server and the Server is up
and runing.

And I can promes you that Cristie is not going to disappear like Kernal
group.

Med Vänliga Hälsningar/Best Regards
Christian Svensson

Cristie Nordic AB
Box 2
SE-131 06 Nacka
Sweden

Phone : +46-(0)8-641 96 30
Mobil : +46-(0)70-325 15 77
eMail : christian.svensson AT cristie DOT se
MSN : issen007 AT hotmail DOT com

                      Daniel Sparrman
                      <daniel.                 To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      sparrman@EXIST.          cc:
                      SE>                      Subject:  Re: TSM 5.2 Question
                      Sent by: "ADSM:
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager" <ADSM-
                      L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

                      2003-02-13 14:14
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hi Christian

1. Does PC-BAX handle the TDP? Or does PC-BAX do its own, off-line backup
of SQL, Exchange and so on? As far as I know, PC-BAX doesnt support
restoring SQL and Exchange using Tivolis TDP.

2. I would really like to know who you have been talking to in Sweden
regarding the NEW System Recovery tool? The ones I have talked to is
recommending the product(as soon as it is relased, which wont happen, for
Windows, within a couple of months).

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman

PS! Regarding Veritas, how do we know that Cristie isn't bought up by
another large Storage software company? That would mean TSM support
probably would disappear, as with the TKG Bare Metal Restore.
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 HÄGERNÄS
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

   Christian Svensson <Christian.
   Svensson AT CRISTIE DOT SE>                                To:        ADSM-
   Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-   L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
   L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>                                    cc:
                                               Re: TSM 5.2 Question
   2003-02-13 14:08

Hi Everyone!
What Tivoli has done and going to do is....

Unix :
Sysback who everyone talk to is exakt the same who always have been there.
The only thing who happend is that there is more documentation about it.
That´s is the only who happend.

Windows :
Daniel talk about Sysback to Windows XP and Windows 2003 (.NET) and what
Tivoli means about that is that the going to do a document who explain how
the included Disaster Recovery (DR) tool work.
But with the included DR tool do you not have support for Exchange, SQL,
Citrix and et c. To get this program to work do you need to re-install them
in a DR mode and after that use the TDP to restore the data.
And in a Citrix cases do you need to restore all data and after that going
in to a Recovery mode and repair the System Object (Registry).

Tivoli in Scandinavia is not recommend this tools. And I haird that Tivoli
in US has also looking around for new tools/ideas.

If you need a BMR tool for Windows do we have one. And it´s also TSM Ready
and Tivoli in Scandinavia recommends it.

If you want to try the software just send me a email and I fix a triel ver
for you.
We are also going to support another platforms like Linux, Mac OS X, Sun
Solaris, HP-UX and AIX in this year.

Med Vänliga Hälsningar/Best Regards
Christian Svensson

Cristie Nordic AB
Box 2
SE-131 06 Nacka
Sweden

Phone : +46-(0)8-641 96 30
Mobil : +46-(0)70-325 15 77
eMail : christian.svensson AT cristie DOT se
MSN : issen007 AT hotmail DOT com

                     Daniel Sparrman
                     <daniel.                 To:       [email protected].
EDU
                     sparrman@EXIST.          cc:
                     SE>                      Subject:  Re: TSM 5.2
Question
                     Sent by: "ADSM:
                     Dist Stor
                     Manager" <ADSM-
                     L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

                     2003-02-13 13:48
                     Please respond to
                     "ADSM: Dist Stor
                     Manager"

Hi

Tivoli/IBM is already developing their own BMR software, called ITSM
System Recovery. It will be based on IBM SysBack, and the latest I heard
is that it will support AIX, Solaris, HP/UX, XP and .NET.

System Recovery for AIX is already available, and Solaris and HP/UX should
be out soon. I think .NET and XP is scheduled for Q2 2003, but I'm sure
that they will hold that time frame. Im not sure W2K will be supported.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 HÄGERNÄS
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

Gerhard Rentschler <g.rentschler AT RUS.UNI-STUTTGART DOT DE>
2003-02-13 13:44