ADSM-L

Vaulting recovery plan from AIX server

2003-02-07 16:22:51
Subject: Vaulting recovery plan from AIX server
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 15:29:48 -0500
We currently run a 4.2.3.2 TSM server under an OS/390 system that also
supports several other applications. The system is running out of
resources, and we are looking at a number of options for upgrading it
or moving part of its workload elsewhere. One of these options is
moving the TSM server to an AIX system. There are a number of
uncertainties about the operational changes this would entail, one of
which is how we would vault the recovery plan files produced by the
Disaster Recovery Manager component of TSM. We currently copy the
recovery plan to a second file on the tape containing the corresponding
database backup. Is it possible to do the same thing with an AIX TSM
server? If not, what alternatives are other sites using? There is one
major constraint on our choice. When we run disaster recovery tests
our network operations staff and our hot site provider's staff usually
spend a couple of hours troubleshooting network connections. This is
annoying but tolerable if work on rebuilding the TSM server can
procede concurrently with the debugging. It would be a disaster if
access to the recovery plan file had to wait for successful completion
of network troubleshooting.