ADSM-L

Re: Need advice on dealing with unreadable tape

2003-02-06 17:20:46
Subject: Re: Need advice on dealing with unreadable tape
From: Matt Simpson <msimpson AT UKY DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 17:20:00 -0500
At 5:11 PM -0500 2/6/03, Prather, Wanda wrote:
Well, if RESTORE VOLUME says there is nothing to restore, and q content says
there is, one of them is lying!

I didn't interpret the messages as meaning there was nothing TO
restore .. I thought it meant there was nothing it COULD restore. It
did say
ANR1256W Volume 000345 contains files that could not be restored.
so it apparently knew there was stuff there it couldn't restore.

Try AUDIT VOLUME 000345
If it says the two files can't be read, then run

AUDIT VOLUME 000356 fix=yes
That should purge the bad DB entries and free up the tape.

OK, thanks.  Am I correct in assuming that purging the DB entries
will force new backups if those are the active versions?

--

Matt Simpson --  OS/390 Support
219 McVey Hall  -- (859) 257-2900 x300