ADSM-L

Re: Over extended log

2003-02-06 09:43:04
Subject: Re: Over extended log
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 08:42:56 -0600
From: Roger Deschner [mailto:rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU]
> Preventing log fillups is a delicate balancing process,
> especially if you run in ROLLFORWARD mode.
>
> But right now you're in a jam - you've got to extend your
> log, but you cannot because it is as large as it can be
> (13gb). Call Tivoli support. Then shrink your log back down
> to 12gb, so you can do an emergency log extention on the next
> Dark and Stormy Night.

I was once an Advocate for rollforward log mode, because I liked the
idea of being able to restore a TSM system to the moment of failure.
However, after dealing with more than a few  customers' systems that
came down hard because the log filled to capacity, I have ceased all
hostility in this advocacy war. As nice as rollforward can be, I have
yet to see anyone actually make use of its utility.

I now set all customers' logs to normal mode, and I make sure that all
db volumes are hardware mirrored on separate disks. This seems to be all
the redundancy necessary for continuous operations.