ADSM-L

Re: Sun Solaris server backups not ending

2003-02-06 00:07:31
Subject: Re: Sun Solaris server backups not ending
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:55:44 -0500
>I have a SUN server Client Version 4.2.1, Client OS level 5.8 on TSM 4.1.3
>os/390.  My problem is that for a regularly scheduled client backup, the
>sessions start, but they just sit in idlew/recvw status.  It is just
>backing up about 3 GB of data, but it is taking hours to complete when it
>usually ends in 15 minutes.  I checked to make sure that the disk pool
>wasn't full and nothing else seemed out of the ordinary.  Has anyone had
>this problem?  Any suggestions on what to look at?  Thank you!

The perennial "What the heck is my client doing?" question...
In  http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts
see entries "Backup taking too long" and "Backup performance".
Sometimes we're surprised to see the number of small files that someone
has added to the file system; sometimes there's a balky tape involved
in the backup.

  Richard Sims, BU