ADSM-L

Re: TSM Question

2003-02-04 00:38:04
Subject: Re: TSM Question
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 09:17:01 +1000
Hi Jose

I did some analysis on this for monthly backups and discovered that a monthly
archive and a monthly incremental worked out about the same in our environment
but that the monthly archive was easier to implement.  Our requirement was just
a point-in-time each month with one month each year kept "forever".

In your case, if it is a real requirement that every backup be kept,
Create a new copypool
extend your retention to 210 days
every 180 days, backup all primary pools to your new copy pool
take a database snapshot and ship it and all your new copypool tapes to storage
for 4 ½ years
Delete the volumes in the new copypool
The other thing that you might like to do is run q content on each of the
volumes and drop it into a database somewhere, so that you can tell if you have
a particular file and which tapes are required to get it back without huge
amounts of effort.

HTH

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> jose.spri.rivera AT SPCORP DOT COM 04/02/2003 0:21:21 >>>
Hi - Wondering if I can get ideas or suggestions

We need to retain all backups for a 5 year period. I currently have a
retention period for backups of  180Days.  We are debating the scenarios -
Wondering if I can poll the list to get possible suggestions or ideas for
handling this. Some things that we have been discussing are

1) extend the retention period to 5 years and set nolimit to versions
created.. deleted etc
2) create separate mgmtclass for once a month backups with retention period
of 5 years
3) generate backupsets once a month and retain for 5 years
4) create separate TSM instance to provide 5 year retention
5) Using archive with 5 year retention

Would appreciate any ideas and potential ramifications

I currently have 180 unix and intel clients, storing 15TB onsite and 15TB
offsite. My db is approx 55GB

I am using TSM 5.1.5.4 on an IBM RS/6000 (H80 with 6cpus and 8GBs of ram)
running AIX 5.1ML03. Attached are 2 x3584 with 8 LTO fibre drives for
backups. For archive I use 3494 library (L12 and D12 with 4x3590H1a drives).

Thanks
Jose Rivera
Unix Technical Consultant

This message and any attachments is solely for the intended recipient. If you
are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, use or distribution of the
information included in this message is prohibited -- Please immediately and
permanently delete.

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.