ADSM-L

TSM support issues

2003-01-31 11:52:20
Subject: TSM support issues
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:51:35 -0500
We have a 4.2.3.2 TSM server running under OS/390. We expect to add more
TSM clients, and the workloads on two other mainframe applicatios are
increasing. The mainframe is already short of real memory, and is heading
rapidly for shortages of CPU capacity and network bandwidth. One of the
options being discussed is moving the TSM server to AIX. At least one
manager has argued that we should consider migrating to a different
enterprise backup solution. One of his arguments is that we are getting
poor quality code and poor support.

We have been struggling with one or more memory leaks for a couple of
months. Patch level upgrades have improved performance somewhat, but have
not fixed the problem. We are still finding it necessary to restart the
TSM server twice a day to maintain acceptable performance.

Back when we decided to upgrade to the 4.2.3.2 level I went to the
anonymous FTP server and found a text file referring me to the TSM server
README for information on a password protected FTP server. The
information was not in the README file, so I sent out a query on this
list and opened a severity 2 incident with IBM/Tivoli. I started getting
to contact me after five days.

We have since opened another serverity 2 incident for the apparent
memory leak. It has typically taken days of repeated calls to get
administrative responses, such as confirmation that dumps were
received. It took weeks to get a substantive technical response.
We were recently told that our symptoms match open APAR PQ69840. I got
a copy of the APAR description. The alleged match is so poor that I
am struggling to convince myself that the claim was a mistake and not
a deliberate lie.

I welcome any suggestions for rebutting the argument that it is time
to look for a product with better code and better support.