ADSM-L

Re: AIX TSM Client and AFS/butc

2003-01-30 12:41:39
Subject: Re: AIX TSM Client and AFS/butc
From: Steve Roder <spr AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:40:48 -0500
> Hi,
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) We've recently upgraded our TSM (AIX 4.3.3) server to v5.1.5.4. However,
> we're running the TSM 3.7.1 client  on our AFS fileservers. I'd like to
> upgrade the client software of the AFS servers to 5.1.5, but can't find any
> relevant documentation. Anyone aware of any potential problems?
>

> 2) The TSM 5.1.5 client README.AFSDFS file states
>
> NOTE: The AFS/DFS versions of TSM executable files are only available for
> AIX. 4.3.X
>
> Is this just referring to removal of the dsmafs/dsmcafs client, or is there
> an AFS/butc problem upgrading to AIX 5.1?

Does anyone listening know if this is the end-of-life for TSM being
AFS/DFS aware?  4.3.3 goes out of service on 12/31/2003, meaning one would
have to run an unsupported OS (AIX 4.3.3), but with a support TSM client
(5.1), and the AFS/DFS filesets, in order to backup AFS/DFS.

If this is true, can someone point us at the IBM Document that spells this
our in clear text that I can show to my management?

Thanks,

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
HOD Service Coordinator
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
TSM/ADSM Administrator
(spr AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564)