ADSM-L

Re: License for Managed Library?

2003-01-29 11:01:34
Subject: Re: License for Managed Library?
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:00:27 -0500
We are running 5 lan free storage agents.  In the TSM v5 Admin Ref, I
find "mgsyssan.lic
To license Managed System for SAN. Tivoli Storage Manager requires
this license for each storage agent. The Tape Library Sharing feature
is
required on the Tivoli Storage Manager server."  I read this to mean I
need ONE shared library license for my TSM Server machine but not any
for the storage agent machines?  Is this a correct reading of the doc?

I also find in the doc, "library.lic
To license a Managed Library. This is required for each library in the
Extended Device category or the Advanced Managed Library category,
that is managed by a Tivoli Storage Manager server.
Additional information on device categories can be found at the Tivoli
Storage Manager Web site:
http://www.tivoli.com/support/storage_mgr/tivolimain.html. Follow
the links to device information."

The link is of course no longer valid.  Where can I find the
replacement link that will define what devices are in the Extended
Device or the Advanced Managed Library category?

David

>>> daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE 01/29/03 10:50AM >>>
Hi

If your 3494 is partitioned, the shared library is not required.

Shared library is only when you are sharing a library between two TSM
servers, using server-to-server communication(where one server is the
library manager, and the other server is the library client).

The 3494 has it's own library manager, and Shared library license is
not
required. However, if you were to use library sharing within TSM, the
license would be required.

Difference between 3494 sharing, and TSM library sharing:

3494:
- different scratch pools for each server
- One server cannot access another servers volumes
- Handled by 3494 Library Manager

TSM Library Sharing:
- Common scratch pool
- Client/server relationship